Sautéed Zucchini, Tomato and Chickpea Ragout
This Simple Cooking with Heart, Italian recipe is a delicious way to get more vegetables and beans into your eating routine.
- 2 medium zucchini (chopped) OR
- 3 yellow squash (chopped)
- 28 oz. canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium tomatoes (crushed)
- 6 cups Chickpea Salad with Tomatoes and Cucumber (see related recipes)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cup whole-wheat couscous
Keep it Healthy: Beans like chickpeas are a great (and reasonably-priced!) source of protein for a meal. Just makes sure to drain and rinse no salt added or low sodium canned beans.
Cooking Tip: 1 (16 oz.) package whole-wheat spaghetti can be used as a substitute for the couscous.
Cooking Tip: Zucchini and yellow squash are both considered summer squash but are available year-round. Both cook quickly and are great to add into any sauces or stews from marinara to chili.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Spray a large sauté pan with cooking spray. Add chopped zucchini and cook over medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally with spatula, cook until zucchini are soft, about 5 minutes.
- 2 Add tomatoes, Chickpea Salad, cumin, and black pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid or foil. Reduce heat to low so mixture is simmering. Let ragout simmer 15 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, make couscous according to package directions (omitting the salt and fat).
- 4 Serve ragout over couscous.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||4.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||50 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Sautéed Zucchini, Tomato and Chickpea Ragout has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box