Greek-Style Stewed Chicken - Delicious Decisions
Stock your kitchen with the flavors of Greece—tomatoes, olives, lemons, oregano—and you’ll be ready to prepare this robust dish at any time. Serve with steamed green beans and whole-wheat pita bread.
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenders
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper (cut into 1-inch strips)
- 2 medium shallots (quartered)
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Discard all visible fat from the chicken.
- 2 In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the chicken for 2 minutes on each side.
- 3 Stir in the bell pepper and shallots. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
- 4 Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
This recipe is reprinted from American Heart Association Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook, Fourth Edition, Copyright © 2008 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
|Total Fat||5.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
3 lean meat, 2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Greek-Style Stewed Chicken - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box