Sriracha-Glazed Chicken with Paprika Butternut Squash
The spicy Sriracha packs a ton of flavor into this Asian chicken dish. And while the chicken is best with a long stint in the marinade—up to 24 hours—if you’re short on time, 10 to 15 minutes in the marinade will do.
- 2 Tbsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4, 6- oz. thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1, 4- lb large butternut squash (peeled, seeded, diced) OR
- 2, 2- lb medium butternut squash (peeled, seeded, diced)
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Cooking Tip: When chopping vegetables to cook, it’s important to make sure they’re all around the same size to ensure they cook evenly. Otherwise, bigger pieces will take longer to cook.
Keep it Healthy: Soaking lean meats like skinless, boneless chicken breasts or pork tenderloin in a marinade (anywhere from 15 minutes to 24 hours) is a simple way to infuse flavor.
Tip: Double the recipe and use the extra chicken and squash to stuff inside a tortilla wrap for lunches, along with spinach leaves and fat-free feta cheese.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Into a large resealable plastic bag, add marinade ingredients: Sriracha, canola oil, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper. Add chicken breasts into the bag, making sure the chicken is well-coated with marinade. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes (and start the butternut squash while it sits) or place chicken in the refrigerator to marinate for up to 24 hours.
- 2 To cook, into a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add chicken breasts and all the marinade liquid. Use tongs to frequently turn the chicken breasts to be coated in marinade, and sauté until chicken is fully cooked, around 8 to 10 minutes depending on thickness. Remove from heat and serve.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2 Cut the butternut squash in half vertically. Use a vegetable peeler or a knife to remove the peel. Remove the seeds with a spoon and discard. Cut squash into a 1-inch dice.
- 3 Add butternut squash cubes onto a large foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, paprika, salt, and pepper. Use a spatula or clean hands to toss ingredients together. Make sure the squash is on a single layer on the baking sheet.
- 4 Cook in preheated oven until soft, about 30 to 35 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through the cooking process. Serve with the chicken.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||18.8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.1 g|
|Trans Fat||0.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||4.8 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||10.2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||39 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
starch, 1 fat, 5 lean meat, 1/2 other carbohydrate
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Sriracha-Glazed Chicken with Paprika Butternut Squash has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box