Simple Chicken Pot Pie
Simple Cooking with Heart brings you this classic American comfort food recipe that is so easy and delicious, you may never pick the frozen version again.
It is bursting with colorful veggies and tender chicken; plus it's much lower in sodium and fat than the packaged variety.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins (all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 small Idaho potato (about 3/4 cup), peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 clove minced, fresh garlic OR
- 2 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 3/4 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots (about 2 small carrots)
- 1 cup fresh corn, cut off cob (about one ear) OR
- 8 oz. canned, no-salt-added corn
- 1/2 cup celery (about 2 stalks), chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. dried, salt-free Italian blend herbs
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 7.5 oz. canned, low-fat 10-count refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (try to look for whole wheat)
- non-stick Cooking spray
Cooking Tip: Frozen vegetables can be substituted for all vegetables in this dish. To thaw, measure out correct amounts of each vegetable and place in a bowl of lukewarm water. In about 10 minutes they will be ready to use.
Tip: Scattering the biscuit dough and watching as it puffs up and turns golden brown in the oven while it cooks if a safe and fun step to involve kids in the cooking process.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 2 Place chicken in medium saucepot and fill about halfway with water (enough to completely cover chicken). Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes. Remove from water, cool slightly and dice into bite size pieces cover and place in refrigerator. (Can be prepared a day ahead.)
- 3 In a medium saucepot, place potato pieces in cold water, turn heat on high and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from water and set aside.
- 4 Heat olive oil in a large saucepot, over medium low heat. Add garlic, peas, onion, carrots, corn, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and herbs and continue cooking for 5-7 more minutes, until most of cooking liquid has been absorbed.
- 5 In a medium mixing bowl, stir together milk, yogurt, chicken and potatoes. Add yogurt mixture to hot vegetable mixture and remove from heat.
- 6 Keep biscuits cold until ready to use. Cut 5 biscuits into small ½ inch cubes.
- 7 Place mixture in a 9 x 9 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Scatter biscuit pieces, evenly spaced, over top of pot pie mixture.
- 8 Bake for about 20 minutes, or until biscuit dough is golden brown.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||8.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||37 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Simple Chicken Pot Pie has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box