Salmon or Chicken Kebabs with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 lb. salmon (skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes, all visible fat discarded) OR
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast (all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. fresh oregano OR
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 clove fresh garlic (minced) OR
- 1/2 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh or jarred lemon juice (half of a lemon)
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 small bell pepper (any color), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 cup mushrooms (halved)
- 8 wooden skewers
- aluminum foil
- 1 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 tsp. fresh, or, jarred lemon juice
- 1 tsp. fresh, coarsely chopped dill (or ¼ teaspoon dried )
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano (finely chopped) OR
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/3 cup cucumber (1/2 cucumber), diced
- 1/4 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Cooking Tip: If using wooden skewers be sure to soak the skewers in cold water for about 30 minutes prior to grilling to make sure they don’t burn.
Tip: Assembling skewers and making tzatziki sauce are safe and fun steps to involve kids in the cooking process.
Tip: Double the chicken and use the left-overs to make Zippy Southwest Chicken Fajita Salad.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Whisk together 2 teaspoons olive oil, oregano, garlic, lemon juice and zest. Add salmon or chicken and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
- 2 To make tzatziki sauce, stir together yogurt, lemon juice and zest, dill, oregano, cucumber, honey and pepper.
- 3 Toss vegetables in remaining olive oil and assemble each skewer with 3 pieces of salmon, alternating between vegetables.
- 4 Heat grill-pan or sauté pan. Over medium heat, add skewers to pan, cover loosely with foil. You may have to cook in two batches of 4 skewers. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side.
- 5 Serve immediately with a dollop of tzatziki sauce.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||10.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
3 lean meat, 1 starch
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Salmon or Chicken Kebabs with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box