Sweet & Nutty Stir Fry
When you crave takeout but don’t want to load up on saturated fat and sodium, try this quick and crunchy meatless meal-in-one.
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. canola oil OR
- 1 tsp corn oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 cups broccoli florets (about 5 ounces), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup chopped carrots (cut into matchstick-size strips)
- 1/2 cup unsalted, unoiled peanuts (dry-roasted)
Cooking Tip: Adding curry powder to the pasta water not only imparts flavor but also provides a bright yellow color.
Tip: 1 1/2 cups per serving
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt and oil and adding the curry powder. Drain well in a colander.
- 2 Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, cornstarch, red pepper flakes, and orange juice, stirring until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the orange zest. Set aside.
- 3 In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion for 1 minute. Stir in the broccoli, cabbage, and carrots. Cook for 4 minutes, or until just tender-crisp, stirring frequently.
- 4 Transfer the pasta to a serving platter. Top with the broccoli mixture. Pour the sauce over all. Sprinkle with the peanuts.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Face the Fats campaign.
© 2009 by the American Heart Association.
|Total Fat||11.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||4.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||44 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Sweet & Nutty Stir Fry has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box