Moroccan Chicken with Brown Rice and Lemon Sauteed Spinach
Try this Simple Cooking with Heart special dish featuring the spices of Morocco!
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (all visible fat discarded)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or canola oil, divided use
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 clove fresh, minced, or, sliced garlic
- 14.5 oz. canned, diced, low-sodium tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a small bowl mix paprika, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper.
- 2 Place the chicken a plate or pie dish, coat with spice mixture. Allow chicken to stand in spices for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- 3 In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for 5 minutes.
- 4 Reduce heat to medium-low, add water, top with onions, tomato and garlic.
- 5 Cover and cook for 10 minutes then flip chicken and cook for 30 minutes more until chicken is cooked through.
- 1 In a saucepan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 2 Add spinach, handfuls at a time, leaving enough room to stir. If all the spinach won’t fit in the pan let some wilt down and continue to add spinach until all leaves are wilted.
- 3 Remove from heat and squeeze lemon over spinach (or sprinkle juice from jar).
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||11.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||36 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Moroccan Chicken with Brown Rice and Lemon Sauteed Spinach has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box