Oven-Fried Chicken with Roasted Potato Wedges
If you love crispy, finger-licking-good fried chicken, you’re going to be surprised by this healthier oven-baked version! We’ve made it easy with step-by-step instructions and videos.
- Cooking spray (non-tropical vegetable oil)
- 1 whole, skinless chicken, cut into 8 pieces (or use 8 individual skinless, pieces of chicken)
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- nonstick Cooking spray
- 2 large potatoes (peeled if desired, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a wire rack with cooking spray and place over a baking sheet.
- 2 Cut chicken in to 8 pieces (2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks, 2 wings).
- 3 In a shallow dish, combine buttermilk and egg, whisk well.
- 4 In a separate shallow dish combine flour, paprika and pepper, stir well.
- 5 One piece at a time, dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, then coat with flour and place on baking wrack.
- 6 Lightly spray chicken with cooking spray and bake 30 minutes, turn chicken and bake 20 minutes more until center reaches a safe temperature of 165 degrees. (Optional: If you prefer darker brown ‘crisply’ chicken, turn on the oven’s broiler for the last 2 minutes but keep an eye on the tenders so they don’t burn!)
- 1 After chicken is done, keep oven at 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2 Arrange potato wedges on cookie sheet so none overlap and coat lightly with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix garlic powder, pepper and parsley.
- 3 Sprinkle herb mixture over potatoes and bake for 15 minutes.
- 4 Stir and bake 15 minutes more until wedges pierce easily with a fork.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||7.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||43 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Oven-Fried Chicken with Roasted Potato Wedges has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box