Simple Cooking with Heart brings you this one-pot Dominican meal that can be on the table in less than an hour -- a delicious dinner your whole family is going to love.
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, or vegetable oil or corn oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bell pepper (any color), thinly sliced
- 1 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 large carrot (sliced)
- 1 medium potato (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 29 oz. canned, no salt added, diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. oregano or cilantro
- 1 bay leaf
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Add oil to a medium pot and heat over medium heat, add sugar, stir and cook for 1 minute (sugar should brown slightly).
- 2 Add chicken and cook until browned (3-4 minutes).
- 3 Add stock, lemon juice, bell pepper, onion, carrot, potato, tomatoes, garlic, and herbs to pot, cover and simmer until vegetables are cooked through (approx. 30 minutes). Remove bay leaf before serving.
- 4 Serve with brown rice or beans or over salad.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||6.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Added Sugars||1 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Pollo Guisado has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box