Southwest Slow Cooker Chicken
Check out this great Simple Cooking with Heart, Southwestern slow cooker recipe that your family is sure to love!
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional and variable depending on how spicy you like your chicken!)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins (all visible fat discarded)
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1-3 oz. canned green chiles
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Tip: This chicken is flavorful and extremely versatile; serve as a salad over a bed of lettuce, use for tacos or sandwich meat on a whole-wheat tortilla or bun.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a small bowl, stir together chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper (optional).
- 2 Place chicken in slow cooker and sprinkle half of seasoning mixture over chicken. Flip with a fork and sprinkle other half of seasoning mixture over chicken.
- 3 Pour tomatoes, chilies and chicken broth over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- 4 Cover and cook over low setting for 8-10 hours, or over high setting for 3-4 hours. Chicken make break apart easily with fork once cooked.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||2.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Southwest Slow Cooker Chicken has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box