Spicy Oven-Fried Chicken
Smoky paprika, spicy cayenne, and tangy dry mustard add zippy heat to this lightened-up southern classic. Buttermilk keeps the chicken moist, while cornflake crumbs and cornmeal form a crunchy crust.
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cornflakes crumbs
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt-free extra-spicy seasoning blend
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. dry mustard
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
Tip: Serving size 3 ounces chicken
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan or a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2 Pour the buttermilk into a pie pan or shallow bowl.
- 3 In a shallow dish, stir together the remaining ingredients except the chicken.
- 4 Set the pie pan, dish, and baking pan in a row, assembly-line fashion. Dip the chicken in the buttermilk and then in the cornflake mixture, turning to coat at each step and gently shaking off any excess. Using your fingertips, gently press the coating so it adheres to the chicken. Place in the baking pan. Lightly spray the chicken with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the coating is crisp.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Low-Salt Recipes, Copyright © 2013 by the American Heart Association. Published by Publications International, Ltd. Look for Low-Salt Recipes at ShopHeart.org.
|Total Fat||1.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
1 starch, 3 very lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Spicy Oven-Fried Chicken has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box