This Simple Cooking with Heart, kid-friendly recipe is a great way to get kids into the kitchen to help out.
- 1 lb extra-lean, ground sirloin
- 1 chopped onion (about 1 cup)
- 2 clove garlic (minced) OR
- 1 tsp garlic (minced, from jar)
- 1 15 - medium canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 14 1/2 - oz canned, chopped, no-salt-added or low-sodium tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16 - oz packaged, frozen mixed vegetables (Any variety will do, so pick your family's favorite mix!)
- 1/3 cup brown rice (uncooked)
Cooking Tip: Kids can help pour ingredients into pot and talk about the different colors, steering clear of the heating element with the help of an adult.
Tip: You can purchase garlic minced in a jar to keep in your refrigerator for quick use.
When you have leftover vegetables, freeze in freezer zip-top bag to add to soups and pastas.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||6.6 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.4 g|
|Trans Fat||0.3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||43 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Burger Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box