Kid-Friendly Chicken Enchiladas with Black Beans and Corn
Simple Cooking with Heart brings you this kid-friendly Mexican dinner recipe the kids will love to help make it and eat!
It's bursting with vitamins, minerals and fiber but most importantly, it tastes amazing.
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, sautéed and cooled
- 15.5 oz. canned, low-sodium black beans (drained, rinsed)
- 10 oz. packaged, frozen whole-kernel corn (thawed) OR
- 15 1/4 oz. canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium corn (drained, rinsed)
- 3 tsp. salt-free mild chili powder (divided use)
- 12 taco sized whole wheat or corn tortillas
- 12 toothpicks
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, or, lower-sodium tomato (puree)
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
Cooking Tip: For a quicker meal, 2 cups shredded chicken from half of a rotisserie chicken or 2 (10 oz.) cans salt-free white meat chicken (drained) can be used instead of the chicken breasts.
Keep it Healthy: Make sure the chili blend is salt-free; also, since blends vary from brand to brand, taste it to check how mild it is before using.
Tip: Warming the corn tortillas in the microwave before rolling into enchiladas is a necessary step—the warmed tortillas bend nicely. Cold corn tortillas break very easily, which makes rolling into enchiladas not a success.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 400° F.
- 2 In a large bowl, add the cooled chicken. Let kids shred the chicken with their fingers. Then, have them add black beans, corn, and 1 teaspoon chili powder to bowl with chicken and let kids mix together with spoon.
- 3 Wrap 12 tortillas in 2 to 3 damp paper towels and heat in microwave until warm, about 1 to 1½ minutes.
- 4 Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. On a cutting board, place 1 warm tortilla and have kids add about 1½ spoonfuls of mixture in a line down the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up and use a toothpick to hold together. Place in the baking dish. Repeat with other tortillas. Any extra meat mixture leftover can be poured on top of rolled tortillas.
- 5 In a small bowl, have kids mix 2 teaspoons chili powder, tomato purée, and sour cream. Have them stir mixture and then pour on top of rolled tortillas. Bake in oven until warmed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||81 g|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Kid-Friendly Chicken Enchiladas with Black Beans and Corn has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box