Chinese Chicken Stir-Fry - Delicious Decisions
It takes just a few minutes to prepare your own delicious, healthful stir-fry. Our version combines juicy chicken with plenty of veggies.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked, instant brown rice
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp dry sherry OR
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 Tbsp plain rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chili oil
- 1 Tbsp peeled, grated gingerroot
- 3 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 8 oz mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 8 oz canned water chestnuts (drained)
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup pecan halves (dry-roasted)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Tip: Serving size 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/2 cup rice
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine. Set aside. Cover to keep warm.
- 2 Put the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add the broth, sherry, soy sauce, and vinegar, whisking to dissolve. Set aside.
- 3 In a large skillet or wok, heat the chili oil over high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the gingerroot and garlic for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium high. Stir in the chicken. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the chicken is lightly browned, stirring constantly. (The chicken won't be done at this point.) Transfer to a plate. Wipe the skillet with paper towels.
- 4 In the same skillet, still over medium-high heat, heat the sesame oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the mushrooms, bell pepper, and water chestnuts for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5 Whisk the broth mixture. Stir it into the mushroom mixture. Stir in the chicken. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- 6 Stir the green onions, pecans, and red pepper flakes into the chicken mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve over the rice.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association The Go Red For Women Cookbook, Copyright © 2013 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
|Total Fat||12.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chinese Chicken Stir-Fry - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box