Herbed Halibut and Spring Vegetables en Papillote - Delicious Decisions
Baking food in a parchment packet is a French technique known as en papillote—it’s easy and yields delectable results. For this recipe, a halibut fillet and a sprig of fresh tarragon are baked on a bed of spring vegetables in each packet. As the packets bake, the delicate juices from the fish and vegetables mingle to create a mouthwatering flavor.
- 8 oz. asparagus spears, trimmed, diagonally sliced, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot (cut into matchstick-size strips)
- 1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), halved lengthwise, each half cut lengthwise into 3/8-inch strips
- 4 halibut steaks (about 4 ounces each), about 1 inch thick, rinsed, patted dry
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, about 4 inches long
- 2 Tbsp. sliced chives
- 2 tsp. olive oil
Tip: Serving size 3 ounces fish and 1/2 cup vegetables.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cut eight 15-inch-long sheets of cooking parchment or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- 2 Place the asparagus in the center of four of the parchment sheets. Place the carrot and leek on the asparagus. Place the fish on the vegetables. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Place a tarragon sprig on each piece of fish. Sprinkle with the chives. Drizzle with the oil. Place one of the remaining four sheets of parchment over the fish. Fold the edges toward the center. Holding the tops together, fold several times to seal securely. Transfer the packets to a large rimmed baking sheet. (The packets can be made up to 6 hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate until baking time.)
- 3 Bake for 10 minutes. Using the tines of a fork, carefully open a packet away from you (to prevent steam burns). If the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, carefully open the remaining packets and serve. If the fish isn't cooked enough, reclose the open packet and bake all the packets for 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the fish and vegetables in the packets.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association Go Fresh. Copyright © 2014 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Go Fresh
|Total Fat||4.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
3 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Herbed Halibut and Spring Vegetables en Papillote - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box