Southwestern Chicken - Delicious Decisions
Serve this spicy dish with warm corn tortillas and wedges of ice-cold watermelon. You can adjust the heat level by cutting back on the jalapeño and chili powder.
- 1 1/2 cups orange, red, or yellow bell pepper strips, or a combination
- 2 tsp. seeded, minced, fresh jalapeño
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder and 1 tsp. chili powder, divided use
- 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1/4 pepper, divided use
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, all visible fat discarded, (about 4 oz. each), flattened to 1/4-inch thickness
- canola or corn oil and 1 tsp. canola or corn oil
- 28 oz. no-salt-added, canned, whole tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bell pepper and jalapeño over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Stir in the green onions. Cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- 3 In a medium shallow dish, stir together the flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder,1/4 teaspoon pepper, and salt. Dip one piece of chicken in the mixture, turning to coat and gently shaking off any excess. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- 4 In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook half the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until lightly brown on both sides. Transfer to the plate with the bell pepper mixture. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and chicken.
- 5 Pour the tomatoes with liquid into the skillet, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon. Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6 Stir in the lime zest, bell pepper mixture, and chicken. Increase the heat to medium. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the mixture is heated through.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 9th Edition. Copyright © 2017 by the American Heart Association. Published by Harmony Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase this cookbook from Shop Heart This recipe is reprinted with permission from The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 9th Edition. Copyright © 2017 by the American Heart Association. Published by Harmony Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Available from booksellers everywhere.
|Total Fat||5.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Southwestern Chicken - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box