Tortilla Soup with Grilled Chicken
Try our version of a popular Mexican soup—same great flavor but with less sodium. ¡Muy delicioso!
- Cooking spray
- 2 6-inch corn tortillas, halved, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz. canned, no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 6 oz. cubed, skinless grilled chicken breast, cooked without salt, all visible fat discarded
- 1 small yellow summer squash (about 4 ounces), diced
- 1 small zucchini (about 4 ounces), diced
- 1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 tsp. salt-free, all-purpose seasoning blend
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup shredded, low-fat Cheddar cheese
Tip: Serving size 1 1/4 cups
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange the tortilla strips in a single layer on the baking sheet. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- 2 Bake for 10 minutes, or until crisp.
- 3 Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the remaining ingredients except the Cheddar to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle the soup with the tortilla strips and Cheddar.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Healthy Recipes for Your Heart. Copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Available on ShopHeart.org, while supplies last.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Go Red for Women Recipes for the Heart
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
½ starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Tortilla Soup with Grilled Chicken has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box