Chicken and Quinoa Soup
Quick-cooking quinoa compliments this chicken and vegetable soup adding texture and some whole grains. For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 medium carrot (sliced)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped, fresh thyme
- 1 medium dried bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed, drained)
- 2 oz. sugar snap peas (trimmed, sliced diagonally)
Tip: Serves 6 - 1 1/3 cups per serving
Cooking Tip: Look for quinoa near the rice and other grains in the supermarket. Unless you buy prewashed quinoa, rinse it in a fine strainer under cold running water until the water runs clear. This is done to remove the bitter coating called saponin.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large saucepan, stir together the chicken, broth, onion, water, carrot, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 5 minutes.
- 2 Stir in the quinoa. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 3 Stir in the peas. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Discard the bay leaf before serving the soup.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association.
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
1/2 starch, 1 , 2 very lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chicken and Quinoa Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box