Curry-Spiced Tofu with Asian Vegetables
This Go Red recipe for a Chinese-favorite soup with tofu is a great source of protein.
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 12 oz. extra-firm tofu (not silken), drained, patted dry, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder (divided use)
- 12 oz. packaged, fresh stir-fry vegetables, cut into bite-size pieces if large (about 4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. canola or corn oil
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 4 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. chili garlic sauce or paste
Tip: Serving size 1 1/2 cups
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Put the tofu on a large plate. Sprinkle the tofu on both sides with 1 tablespoon curry powder. Using your fingertips, gently press the curry powder so it adheres to the tofu.
- 2 In a large microwaveable bowl, microwave the vegetables and water on 100 percent power (high) for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are almost tender-crisp but still have some crunch. Pour off any remaining water.
- 3 In a large nonstick skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the tofu slices in a single layer for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer to a separate large plate. Cover loosely to keep warm.
- 4 In the same skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- 5 Stir in the vegetables and garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring constantly.
- 6 Stir in the coconut milk, chili garlic sauce, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder. Bring to a boil, still over medium-high heat. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the tofu.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks..
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Go Red for Women Recipes for the Heart
|Total Fat||6.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 3 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Curry-Spiced Tofu with Asian Vegetables has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box