Couscous-Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps with Mozzarella
With the plump, meatiness that portabella mushrooms provide, you won’t miss the meat in this vegetarian dish.
- 8 portobello mushrooms (with caps that are around 5 inches in diameter)
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions (both green and white parts removed)
- 2 Tbsp chopped black olives
- 1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomatoes (about 3 plum tomatoes)
- 3/4 cup dried couscous
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 3 oz shredded, fat-free mozzarella
Cooking Tip: When in the grocery store choosing the portobello mushrooms, pick caps that are deep enough to hold a stuffing well.
Keep it Healthy: Instead of discarding the mushroom stems, you can always freeze them to use for a homemade chicken stock or vegetable stock.
Tip: This couscous salad can also be made on its own as a side dish for entrees.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2 To clean the portobello mushrooms, remove and discard the stems from each mushroom. Then, using a spoon, scrape the black gills from the underside of each mushroom and discard gills. Place each mushroom cap onto a large foil-lined baking sheet. Bake mushrooms in oven until soft, about 20 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, chop the scallions, olives, and tomatoes; add to a medium bowl along with couscous, pepper, oil, and vinegar. Bring 1 1/4 cups of water to a boil, either on the stove top or in a microwave. Add into the bowl, stirring to combine, and cover tightly with a lid or plastic wrap. Let couscous steam 10 to 15 minutes until cooked. Use a fork to fluff couscous.
- 4 When mushroom caps are done, use a paper towel to blot off any extra moisture on mushroom. Divide couscous mixture among the mushroom caps, filling each one. Top with the cheese and place back in the oven until cheese melts, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase Cooking in Color Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood Every purchase helps fund the work of the AHA/ASA.
|Total Fat||6.7 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.8 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||37.3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.5 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Couscous-Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps with Mozzarella has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box