Mediterranean Couscous Salad with Chickpeas
Grapes add sweetness to this easy, This Simple Cooking with Heart, no-cook dish that works easily for a packed lunch to work or for dinner.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 2 medium cucumbers (cut into quarters)
- 1 1/2 cups green or purple grapes (halved)
- 3 green onions
- 15.5 oz. canned, low-sodium chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped, pit removed black or Kalamata olives
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley OR
- 1/2 cup chopped, fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp. reduced-fat feta cheese crumbles (divided)
Cooking Tip: When using naturally salty food like feta cheese and olives, you don’t need to add extra salt into a dish.
Keep it Healthy: Canned items, like beans and vegetables, should be drained and rinsed with water in a colander to remove some of the salt added during the canning process.
Tip: English cucumber can be substituted for 2 medium regular cucumbers—English cucumbers, however, are often more expensive so only substitute if they are on sale.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Using the microwave or a teapot, bring 1 ¼ cups water to a boil. Add into a medium-sized heatproof container, along with couscous. Stir together and cover with a lid or very tightly with plastic wrap. Let couscous sit for 10 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, peel cucumbers. Quarter each cucumber and then cut into 1-inch chunks. Add into a large bowl. If desired, halve the grapes or add them whole into the bowl. Chop the scallions, about ¼ cup, and add into the bowl.
- 3 When couscous is finished, use a fork to fluff it and then add into the bowl along with the olives, chickpeas, parsley, oil, and lemon juice. Use a large spoon or spatula to stir to combine. Serve, topping each portion with 1 tablespoon feta cheese.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||9.9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.6 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.8 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.8 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||82 g|
|Dietary Fiber||14 g|
1 fat, 1 fruit, 4 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Mediterranean Couscous Salad with Chickpeas has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box