Pot Roast Ratatouille and Pasta - Delicious Decisions
This dish can feature any pasta variety—from angel hair to shells to penne.
- olive oil spray
- 1 1/2 lb. eye-of-round roast (all visible fat discarded)
- 1/2 tsp. salt-free, all-purpose seasoning blend
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 10.75 oz. canned tomato puree
- 10 oz. eggplant (chopped)
- 2 medium zucchini (sliced)
- 5 medium Italian plum (Roma) tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 medium ribs of celery, sliced
- 1 tsp. oregano or Italian seasoning, crumbled
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 1 medium dried bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil (crumbled)
- 8 oz. dried, whole-grain pasta
Tip: For maximum tenderness, don’t overcook eye-of-round roast, and be sure to cut it into thin strips.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a Dutch oven with olive oil spray.
- 2 Sprinkle the roast with the seasoning blend and pepper.
- 3 Heat the Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the roast for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- 4 Stir in the remaining ingredients except the pasta.
- 5 Bake, covered, for about 2 hours, or until the roast is very tender when tested with a fork.
- 6 Shortly before the roast is done, prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well in a colander.
- 7 Transfer the roast to a cutting board. Cover with aluminum foil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing very thinly across the grain, then slicing into thin strips. Discard the bay leaf from the sauce.
- 8 Spoon the pasta onto plates. Arrange the roast slices on the pasta. Top with the sauce.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from The New American Heart Association Cookbook, Eighth Edition, Copyright © 2010 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||31 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
1½ starch, 2 vegetable, 2½ very lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Pot Roast Ratatouille and Pasta - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box