Shrimp Jambalaya - Delicious Decisions
The word “jambalaya” is thought to come from jambon, the French word for ham. It’s a given, then, that ham is one of the primary ingredients of jambalaya; however, you don’t need much when you use smoked ham and chop it finely to distribute its distinct flavor throughout the dish.
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup water (if cooking on low or 1 1/2 cups water if cooking on high)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium rib of celery, sliced crosswise
- 1 small green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 oz. low-sodium, low-fat smoked ham, all visible fat discarded. finely chopped
- 2 tsp. dried parsley (crumbled)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (crumbled)
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 medium dried bay leaf
- 8 oz. raw medium shrimp (thawed if frozen), rinsed, peeled, patted dry
- 1 cup frozen, cut okra (thawed)
- 1 cup uncooked, instant brown rice
- 1/4 cup snipped, fresh parsley
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a 3- to 4 1/2-quart round or oval slow cooker, stir together the tomatoes with liquid, water, onion, celery, bell pepper, ham, parsley, oregano, garlic, thyme, cayenne, and bay leaf. Cook, covered, on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- 2 If using the low setting, change it to high. Quickly stir in the shrimp, okra, and rice and re-cover the slow cooker. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Discard the bay leaf. Serve the jambalaya sprinkled with the parsley.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook, Copyright © 2012 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook
|Total Fat||2.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Shrimp Jambalaya - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box