Mango, Avocado and Black Bean Salad
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is a colorful, festive and flavorful vegetarian dish that’s easy to make!
- 15 oz. canned, no-salt-added black beans (1 can), drained, rinsed
- 15.25 oz. canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium whole kernel corn (1 can), drained, rinsed
- 1 cup avocado (1 medium or 2 small), halved, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 mangos (about 2 cups), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 green onions (cut into 1/2-inch pieces) OR
- 1/2 small red or white onion (about 1/4 cup), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 or 1/2 jalapeño pepper, stems discarded, seeded, finely chopped, optional
- 1 head romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh, or, bottled lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Cooking Tip: You can serve this with crunchy vegetables like cucumbers and/or jicama, cut into ¼ inch slices and used like chips.
Keep it Healthy: When using canned beans, drain and rinse under cold water for a minute to remove some of the sodium.
Tip: You can also enjoy this in a sandwich or wrap. It is a great dish to bring to potlucks or picnics.
Tip: This salad will keep in the refrigerator for a few days and the flavors keep improving.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Wash and dry lettuce, then chop or tear into 2 inch pieces and divide into 6 bowls or plates.
- 2 Combine the black beans, corn, mango, avocado, onions and jalapeño pepper. Do not mix until you add the dressing.
- 3 Combine the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, chili powder, black pepper and salt together in a jar with a secure lid, shake together until mixed well and pour over the mango and avocado mixture.
- 4 Toss gently to coat and serve over the lettuce and mixed greens.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||6.9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||36 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
1 fat, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Mango, Avocado and Black Bean Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box