Sodium Swap - Change Your Salty Ways in 21 Days Infographic
Face feel puffy? Jeans fit tighter?
In 3 weeks you can:
- Change your sodium palate
- Start enjoying foods with less sodium
- Reduce bloating
On average, American adults eat more than 3,400 milligrams (mg) of sodium daily - more than double the American Heart Association's recommended limit of 1,500 mg for most adults.
Breads & Rolls / Cold Cuts & Cured Meats:
- Look for lower sodium items
- Track your sodium consumption
- Log how much sodium you've shaved out of your diet
Pizza / Poultry:
- If you eat pizza, make it one with less cheese and meats
- Add veggies to your pizza instead
- Use fresh poultry rather than fried, canned or processed
Soups / Sandwiches:
- One cup of chicken noodle soup can have over 830mg of sodium
- Check labels & try lower sodium varieties
- Use lower sodium meats, cheeses & condiments & plenty of vegetables to build healthier sandwiches
Look for the Heart Check mark to find products that can help you make smarter choices about the foods you eat. Sodium is found in almost all foods including mixed dishes such as sandwiches, burgers, and tacos; rice, pasta, and grain dishes; pizza; meat, poultry, and seafood dishes; and soups. Learning to read and understand the Nutrition Facts label can help you make healthier choices.
Choose wisely and watch portion control.
© Copyright 2022 American Heart Association, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use prohibited.