Quick Chicken Chili
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is a yummy twist on traditional chili, switching in chicken for ground beef. It's easy to make in a hurry!
- non-stick Cooking spray
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins (all visible fat discarded) OR
- 1 lb. ground white meat chicken or turkey
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 clove garlic (minced) OR
- 1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth OR
- 1, 16- oz. canned, fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15.5- oz. canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium beans (mix or match pinto, red, kidney or navy), drained, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
- jalapeño (optional if you like spicy chili)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 cup low-fat, or, fat-free sour cream (optional)
Tip: When buying chicken, tenderloins are often less expensive than breasts – in recipes like this one where you cut the chicken into bit-size pieces the cut makes no difference so pick whatever’s cheaper! Be sure to check for specials or sales.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Remove visible fat from chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 2 Spray large pot with cooking spray. Add chicken, onion, garlic, chili powder (optional) or jalapeno (optional) cooking over medium-heat until chicken is no longer pink (about 7 minutes)
- 3 Lightly mash the drained, rinsed beans with a fork.
- 4 Add all remaining ingredients to chicken mixture and simmer on high for 10 minutes.
- 5 Spoon chili into bowls and top with chopped fresh cilantro and/or dollop of sour cream (optional)
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||3.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||41 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|
2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Quick Chicken Chili has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box