Simple Chicken (or Shrimp) Stir Fry
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is easily prepared with chicken or shrimp.
Or, go vegetarian and try it with tofu!
This recipe serves four in less than 10 minutes. Add your favorite vegetables to give the recipe your own twist.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz. each), cut into bite-size pieces OR
- 18 pre-cooked shrimp, tails removed
- 1/2 medium green cabbage head
- 4 medium carrots (peeled)
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil OR
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. reduced-fat peanut butter (try to find one with 'no sugar added')
- 1/2 tsp. fresh, grated ginger (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, unsalted, unoiled peanuts
Tip: Go Vegetarian and substitute the chicken with Tofu. Use 12-14 ounces of low-fat, extra-firm tofu, drained and cut in to 1/2 inch cubes. Skip step #2 in the instructions and add tofu to skillet with cabbage and carrots.
Tip: You can save time by buying pre-shredded cabbage and carrots in a bag, but it will probably be a little more expensive.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Cook rice to package directions.
- 2 While rice cooks, spray a skillet or wok with cooking spray. Cook chicken on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside.
- 3 Chop cabbage into thin strips (like slaw) and use peeler to shred carrots. Add to skillet and toss with oil. Cook on medium-high heat 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are limp but crunchy. Add chicken (or shrimp) to vegetables.
- 4 Stir in soy sauce and honey (and ginger, optional) and heat through, about 2 minutes.
- 5 Spoon rice and chicken on to plate and sprinkle with peanuts.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||9.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||41 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
1 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Simple Chicken (or Shrimp) Stir Fry has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box