Slow Cooker Lean BBQ Beef with Homemade Sauce and Sweet Potato Salad
Here is a fantastic American/Southern, barbecue beef recipe that you can make in your slow cooker in no time along with a recipe twist on potato salad.
- 2 lb top round or beef loin roast (cut into large chunks)
- 1 large onion (any color) chopped
- 28 oz canned, low-sodium tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp salt-free chili powder
- 1 tsp salt-free Italian spice blend OR
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic or onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 2 stalk celery (keep leaves), chopped
- 2 chopped, fresh green onions OR
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow or red onion
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fat-free, plain yogurt
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
Keep it Healthy: Homemade barbecue sauce is easy and usually much healthier than the jarred ones because it doesn’t contain the salt or sugar.
Cooking Tip: Just like when cooking Russet potatoes for potato salad, you want the sweet potatoes to be fork-tender but still hold their shape—not quite as tender as if you were mashing them.
When using celery, keep the leaves on the celery stalks to include in the dish. They add a ton of celery flavor to a dish.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Add chopped sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook until just fork-tender, about 8 minutes (depending on size of potato chunks).
- 2 Transfer to a colander and rinse potatoes with cold water to stop potatoes from cooking.
- 3 In a large bowl, add celery, onion, mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar and remaining pepper. Mix to combine.
- 4 Add potatoes to bowl, and stir together. Serve at room temperature or let chill in fridge to serve cold.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||6.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||41 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Slow Cooker Lean BBQ Beef with Homemade Sauce and Sweet Potato Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box