Eggplant, Cheese & Tomato Bake
Simple Cooking with Heart helps you enjoy a rainbow of colorful veggies in the classic Italian lasagna style -- and in the process, make it heart-healthier, too.
- 1 large sliced eggplant (about 17-20 slices)
- 1 medium thinly sliced onion (about 2 cups), cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 zucchini (about 2 cups), cut into bite-size pieces
- non-stick Cooking spray
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 3 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 clove minced garlic OR
- 3 tsp. fresh, minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 29 oz. canned, no salt added, diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. canned, no salt added tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp. fresh, chopped basil OR
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 3/4 cup part-skim, low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs OR
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
Tip: For a quick second night meal, toss leftover vegetables with a low sodium pasta sauce and whole wheat pasta.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 375° F
- 2 Arrange eggplant, onions and zucchini on a baking sheet, sprayed with cooking spray. Lightly spray top of vegetables with cooking spray as well. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 10 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered.
- 3 In a small saucepan, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat, sauté mushrooms and garlic with water and pepper, until mushrooms begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and basil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4 Spread 1/2 tomato-mushroom mixture on bottom of a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Then layer half of the eggplant, zucchini and onion. Layer all of ricotta, and sprinkle a layer of half the mozzarella. Repeat layers with another 1/2 of tomato-mushroom mixture and the remaining eggplant, zucchini and onion. Add the remaining tomato mixture, evenly sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until most of the liquid has disappeared and cheese begins to brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Sodium Smart Recipe Magazine Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||5.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Eggplant, Cheese & Tomato Bake has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box