Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is a tasty twist on a classic American casserole dish. This is a great dish to cook on those colder nights when you want a warm and hearty meal.
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes OR
- 45 oz. canned, unsweetened yams or sweet potatoes in water, rinsed
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- non-stick Cooking spray
- 1 medium onion (any color), chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color), seeded, chopped
- 1 lb. extra-lean, fat-free, ground turkey (95%-99% lean)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme or basil
- 16 oz. frozen vegetable medley (like green beans, corn, and peas) or whatever is on sale, thawed
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
Keep it Healthy: Sweet potatoes are chock full of minerals and vitamins, making them a fabulous and healthy starch alternative.
Tip: Double the recipe for the mashed sweet potatoes and serve as a side for the next dinner.
Tip: 1 (14.4 oz.) bag of frozen pepper stir-fry can be substituted for the fresh onion and pepper.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- 2 Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Chop into 1-inch pieces.
- 3 Add to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until potatoes are very tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- 4 Return sweet potatoes to pot. Add milk, cinnamon, or nutmeg. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth.
- 5 Spray large pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and bell pepper and cook over medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add meat and thyme, cooking until done, about 5 more minutes.
- 6 Add vegetables, beef broth, and cornstarch, stirring to combine. Cook a few minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- 7 Add beef mixture into an 8- or 9-inch baking dish. Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on top of the beef and vegetables. Cook in oven until entirely heated, about 15 minutes.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||6.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||46 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box