Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Marinara and Turkey Meatballs
This Simple Cooking with Heart Italian recipe for Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Marinara and Turkey Meatballs is an upgrade from the classic -- it has more fiber and vegetables, less saturated fat and sodium but it sure delivers on taste!
- 14 oz. canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium, sliced carrots
- 14.4 oz. packaged, frozen pepper stir-fry (onions and peppers) (thawed)
- 1 medium zucchini (chopped)
- 4 clove fresh garlic (minced) OR
- 2 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 52 oz. cubed, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium tomato (crushed)
- 2 tsp. salt-free, dried Italian spice blend
- 1 lb. extra-lean or fat-free ground turkey breast (95%-99% lean)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup multigrain cereal flakes (crushed, optional)
- 1 lb. whole-wheat spaghetti
Keep it Healthy: Make sure to compare sodium levels in several brands of canned vegetables and choose the product with the least amount of sodium you can find in your store.
Cooking Tip: There are several kid-friendly kid steps in this recipe. Kids can help mash the carrots, crush the cereal in a sealed plastic bag, and use clean hands to form the meatballs.
Tip: Products simply labeled “ground turkey” will likely also include the skin, which elevates fat and calorie levels greatly. Make sure to purchase “ground turkey breast” which includes only the lean breast meat.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a bowl, combine turkey, pepper, cereal and parsley. Form meat mixture into golf-size meatballs to make about 20 to 25 meatballs.
- 2 Add meatballs into the simmering sauce, trying to get the majority of meatballs covered by sauce. Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3 Make spaghetti according to package directions (omitting the salt and fat). Serve with marinara and meatballs.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visitheart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||87 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Marinara and Turkey Meatballs has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box