Tuscan-Style Grilled Chicken Kebabs
These grilled chicken-and-vegetable kebabs feature the flavors of sunny Tuscany—lemon, rosemary, garlic, and oregano. Serve them with brown rice studded with sun-dried tomatoes for a rustic and satisfying dinner.
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh, chopped rosemary OR
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary (crushed)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 clove fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless, all visible fat discarded chicken breasts, cut into 16 cubes
- 16 whole button or cremini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce each), ends trimmed
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 16 pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- non-stick Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup uncooked, instant brown rice
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
Tip: 2 kebabs (3 ounces chicken and 1/2 cup vegetables) and 1/2 cup brown rice per serving
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a medium nonmetallic bowl, stir together the lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, oil, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Add the chicken, stirring to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. The chicken can marinate for up to 8 hours for even more flavor. Turn several times if marinating for more than 30 minutes.
- 2 Soak eight 8-inch wooden skewers for at least 10 minutes in cold water to keep them from charring, or use metal skewers. Preheat the grill on medium high
- 3 Drain the chicken and discard the marinade. Alternately thread the chicken, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes on the skewers. Lightly spray all sides with cooking spray.
- 4 In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and tomatoes to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 5 Meanwhile, grill the kebabs for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (8 to 12 minutes total), or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the vegetables are tender. Serve with the rice on the side.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Food Certification Program.
© 2008 American Heart Association.
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Tuscan-Style Grilled Chicken Kebabs has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box