Red and Green Bell Pepper Bites
This quick and easy vegetarian appetizer is sweet, salty, smooth and crunchy! Sure to satisfy any of your taste buds.
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted, unoiled, sliced almonds
- 4 oz. fat-free, or, reduced-fat cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tsp. no-salt-added lemon pepper seasoning blend
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Cooking Tip: Flavorful toasted almonds and zesty lemon-pepper contrast nicely with crisp bell pepper pieces in this festive appetizer.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Cut each bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard the stems, ribs and seeds. Cut each half into six pieces. Arrange the pieces with the skin side down on a decorative serving platter. Set aside.
- 2 In a medium skillet, dry-roast the almonds over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the almonds to a small plate and reserve for garnishing. Process the remaining almonds in a food processor or blender for 15 to 20 seconds, or until finely ground.
- 3 In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, lemon pepper seasoning blend, and lemon juice with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes, or until creamy. Add the ground almonds and beat for 10 seconds, or until combined.
- 4 Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a wide star or round tip. Or snip the corner off a resealable plastic bag (a plastic freezer bag works well) and spoon in the mixture. Pipe about 1 teaspoon of the mixture onto each bell pepper piece. Garnish with the sliced almonds.
© 2006 American Heart Association
|Total Fat||1.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
1 starch, 1/2 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Red and Green Bell Pepper Bites has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box