Hazelnut and Lemon Green Beans by Devin Alexander
Very early in my catering career, I was hired by a well-known producer to cater his family’s Thanksgiving dinner.
They wanted a traditional dinner as well as a vegan alternative and were having trouble finding someone willing to do it. Since they offered me 300 dollars per person, I was up for creating anything they wanted.
I was told that the lady of the house loved green beans and lemons. This was the resulting veggie dish . . . and I still can’t look at it without seeing dollar signs.
- 1/2 lb. green beans (ends trimmed)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp. coarsely chopped hazelnuts (toasted)
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 tsp. lemon juice, preferably fresh-squeezed
- 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper (to taste)
Cooking Tip: To toast the hazelnuts, place them in a dry, nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook for 1 to 3 minutes, shaking every 15 seconds or so, until toasted. Watch them closely, as they brown quickly.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Fill a large pot one-third full of water. Cover and set over high heat. When the water comes to a full boil, add the beans and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until just tender. Drain in a colander. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add the nuts, peel, juice, and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to mix. Serve immediately.
Reprinted from THE BIGGEST LOSER COOKBOOK by Chef Devin Alexander and The Biggest Loser Experts and Cast. © 2006 by Universal Studios Licensing LLLP, The Biggest Loser and NBC Studios, Inc., and Reveille LLC. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. www.devinalexander.com.
Photo Credit: Mitch Mandel
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||trace g|
|Total Carbohydrate||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Hazelnut and Lemon Green Beans by Devin Alexander has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box