Asparagus with Sherry Shallot Vinaigrette by Devin Alexander
My friend Cristina makes it very clear that she does not eat low-fat food. When she first met me, she was one of those people who adamantly said that there is no way healthy food tastes good. Though she’s beautiful and in great shape, she always cooks with tons of olive oil and lots of butter.
One night she was having a dinner party, and I brought this dish. She went insane over it. She kept saying, “There’s no way this dressing is lower-fat.” She’s since eaten this dish over and over and even served it to her guests.
These days she does concede that certain healthy dishes taste even better than the traditional varieties. But when anyone who is not me says they made something healthy, she still has no desire to try it. So many people feel this way; I hope this book can change the way they think about healthy food.
- 2 Tbsp sherry wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced shallots
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped, fresh tarragon leaves
- pinch salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
Tip: Nutrition information for asparagus with vinaigrette in nutrition table.
Nutrition information for vinaigrette only, here:
Makes 5 tablespoons. Each tablespoon has: 34 calories, trace protein, 3 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, trace saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, trace fiber, 71 mg sodium
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Trim the asparagus by snapping the ends off the stems where they break naturally. Discard the end pieces.
- 2 Place a steamer rack insert in a large sauce pot. Fill the pot with water so it reaches just below the steamer rack. Place the pot over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Add the asparagus, cover the pot, and cook the asparagus until crisp tender, about 2 to 5 minutes (depending on thickness of spears). Transfer the asparagus to a large bowl of ice water. Drain it well and dry it with paper towels. Return it to the empty bowl and toss it with 1-1/2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Transfer it to a serving platter or divide it among 3 plates. Then drizzle the remaining vinaigrette, about 3-1/2 tablespoons, over the top.
Recipe taken from Devin Alexander's THE MOST DECADENT DIET EVER! Copyright © 2008 by Devin Alexander published by Broadway Books, a division of Random House Inc. www.devinalexander.com.
Photo Credit: Theresa Raffetto
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Asparagus with Sherry Shallot Vinaigrette by Devin Alexander has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box