Baked Cajun Catfish and Easy Collard Greens
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is a terrific recipe from down South featuring two Southern cooking basics that we've given a heart healthy twist to!
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (more or less, depending on desired spiciness)
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4 fillet catfish (you can substitute any white fish, such as tilapia or trout)
- non-stick Cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp jarred, minced garlic
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (add more if you like spicier food)
- 1 Bunch collard greens
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 cooked, diced slice Canadian bacon (cooked in microwave)
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a shallow bowl, combine oil, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, cayenne, paprika and thyme.
- 2 Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- 3 Coat fish fillets in seasoning mixture and place in baking dish, pour any remaining seasoning mixture over the fish.
- 4 Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, until fish flakes with a fork.
- 1 Prepare the greens: Wash the greens and blot lightly with paper towel.
- 2 Remove stems from larger leaves by stripping the leaf off from either side of the step (it is okay to leave the stems on the tender inner leaves).
- 3 Stack 8 leaves together, roll up, and slice in to 1-inch sections.
- 4 In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent (3 minutes, stirring occasionally).
- 5 Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
- 6 Add, sugar, red pepper, greens, vinegar, water and Canadian bacon.
- 7 Cover and cook until tender (20 minutes).
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Sodium Smart Recipe Magazine Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||11.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
|Added Sugars||1 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Baked Cajun Catfish and Easy Collard Greens has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box