If you like Chinese fried rice you'll love this Simple Cooking with Heart Spanish version!
- Cooking spray
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins (all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 medium chopped tomatoes, lightly mashed in a bowl with a fork (save the juices!)
- 1 can no-salt-added green peas
- 1 tsp garlic (minced, from jar)
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp saffron OR
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cup long-grain rice (cooked to package instructions)
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Spray a large skillet with cooking spray, add chicken and cook over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Remove chicken from pan.
- 3 Add oil, bell peppers and onions to skillet – stir well and cook 5 minutes until onions begin to become translucent.
- 4 Add tomatoes, peas, garlic, parsley and saffron or Turmeric. Stir and cook 2 minutes more.
- 5 Reduce to medium low-heat, add broth and chicken, stir well and cover.
- 6 Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 7 Add rice, mix well and heat until warmed through.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||57 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chicken Paella has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box