Creole Red Bean Ratatouille
Ratatouille is a classic vegetable dish from the Provence region of France. Our Creole-inspired version includes red kidney beans and whole-grain penne to add protein and fiber.
- 4 oz dried, whole-grain penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin preferred, divided use)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup frozen, cut okra
- 1/2 no-salt-added 15.5-oz can kidney beans (rinsed, drained)
- 3 medium dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (crumbled)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 oz shredded, low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp shredded, or, grated Parmesan cheese
Tip: Serving size 1 cup ratatouille and 1/2 cup pasta
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well in a colander. Set aside.
- 2 Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion and bell pepper for 3-4 minutes, or until soft, stirring frequently. Stir in the garlic. Cook for 10 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in the tomatoes, okra, beans, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the okra is tender. Remove from the heat. Discard the bay leaves.
- 3 Stir the parsley, salt, and the remaining 2 teaspoons oil into the ratatouille. Serve over the pasta. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook, 2nd Edition. Copyright © 2014 by the American Diabetes Association, Inc.® and American Heart Association. Published by the American Diabetes Association. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||41 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|
2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Creole Red Bean Ratatouille has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box