Red Snapper in Spicy Tomato Sauce
A spicy Caribbean-style tomato sauce blankets mild snapper fillets in this zesty dish. Black olives add a briny touch, while fresh lime contributes a pop of citrus.
Purchase the Heart-Healthy Recipes, Bilingual Edition Cookbook
- 2 tsp. canola oil OR
- 2 tsp corn oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 medium fresh jalapeño (seeds and ribs discarded, chopped)
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- dried oregano (Mexican preferred) crumbled
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 4 red snapper fillets (about 4 ounces each), rinsed, patted dry
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh cilantro
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Stir in the tomatoes with liquid, jalapeño, sugar, oregano and pepper.
- 3 Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes. (If the mixture gets dry, add 2 to 3 tablespoons water.)
- 4 Stir in the lime zest, lime juice and olives.
- 5 Place the fish in the sauce. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 13 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- 6 Transfer the fish to a platter. Stir the cilantro into the sauce and immediately spoon the sauce over the fish.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Recetas saludables para su corazón/Heart-Healthy Recipes, Copyright © 2013 by the American Heart Association. Published by Krames StayWell, LLC. Look for Recetas saludables para su corazón/Heart-Healthy Recipes at ShopHeart.org.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Recetas saludables para su corazón / Heart-Healthy Recipes, Bilingual Edition
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Red Snapper in Spicy Tomato Sauce has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box