Open-Faced Italian Vegetable Sandwich with Ham or Turkey
Simple Cooking with Heart offers this great-tasting decked-out sandwich that fits into a healthy eating plan.
- 1 smal zucchini cut into 1/4 inch slices, about 1 cup
- 1 small peeled cucumber, cut into ¼ inch slices, about 1 cup
- 1 seeded green or red bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch slices lengthwise
- 2 green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces, then cut into quarters
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. fresh basil leaves (finely chopped) OR
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 6 slices whole-wheat, or, whole-grain bread
- 6 slices low-sodium, sliced ham or sliced turkey (about 2 ounces each)
- 2 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 medium tomato, cut into quarter-inch slices
- 1 head romaine or other head lettuce, separated into leaves, washed
Keep it Healthy: You can skip the bread and use large lettuce leaves to make “lettuce wraps” instead.
Tip: Keep whole-grain breads in the freezer and warm or toast as needed.
Tip: You can add more basil to the dressing if you wish. Fresh basil gets dark spots when chilled, so you can keep it fresh in a glass of water on the counter. Change the water every day. Do not wash basil leaves until ready to use. To store leftover fresh basil, blend the leaves and fine stems with water, broth or olive oil and place in an ice cube tray until frozen. Transfer the cubes to a plastic bag and you now have basil available for other dishes any time you want to use it.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Combine the zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper and green onion in a bowl.
- 2 Combine the olive oil, wine vinegar, black pepper, oregano, basil and garlic in a small covered jar, shake well and pour over the vegetables, and toss together to mix the flavors.
- 3 Place the bread on a plate and place a lettuce leaf on top.
- 4 Add the turkey or ham and mozzarella cheese. Fold the meat slices if they are long, so they don’t go much longer than the bottom edge of the bread. Top each with a tomato slice.
- 5 Spoon the vegetable mixture over the ham and cheese and cover with another lettuce leaf.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||8.4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.2 g|
|Trans Fat||0.2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
1 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Open-Faced Italian Vegetable Sandwich with Ham or Turkey has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box