Kid-Friendly Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs with Brown Rice
Simple Cooking with Heart helps you travel to the islands with this recipe. Kids can help make them and because they'll be in the kitchen where all the action is, they're probably going to be excited to eat them, too.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (at least 36 pieces), all visible fat discarded, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 20 oz. canned, unsweetened juice from pineapple chunks can
- 2 clove fresh garlic (minced) OR
- 1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- non-stick Cooking spray
- 36 pineapple chunks (packed in their own juice)
- 2 fresh, chopped bell peppers (chopped into 36 pieces)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 12-15 wooden skewers
- 2 cup brown rice (cooked to package instructions) OR
- 2 8.8- oz. packaged, cooked brown rice
Cooking Tip: Pineapples have an enzyme called bromelain that helps to make meat tender, making pineapple juice an excellent quick marinade.
Keep it Healthy: Skewering pieces of meat, vegetables, and fruit for dinner makes it fun for kids to eat, along with a having a meal with a quick cooking time.
Tip: You can also cook these on the grill but first, you would need to soak the wooden skewers in cold water to prevent them from catching on fire.
Tip: Grape tomatoes are smaller than cherry tomatoes, so more will fit in a pint container. If using grape tomatoes, there will be enough tomatoes to add 4 grape tomatoes per skewer. If using cherry tomatoes, just stick with 2 per skewer.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 400° F. Take chicken out of marinade and place in a bowl.
- 2 Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Have kids wash bell peppers and tomatoes before chopping peppers. For kid-friendly assembly, place the pineapple, chopped peppers, and tomatoes in 3 separate bowls.
- 3 Let kids add 1 tomato to the bottom of 1 skewer. Top with pineapple, chicken and bell pepper 3 times, letting kids add everything but the raw chicken. Let kids add 1 more tomato to top. Repeat with the rest of skewers.
- 4 After 12 skewers are made (and all the chicken has been used), have kids make their own skewers with any remaining pieces. Cook kabobs in oven until chicken is cooked, about 15 minutes. Serve with rice.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||4.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||40 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Kid-Friendly Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs with Brown Rice has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box