Chicken Tortilla Soup - Delicious Decisions
A garnish of avocado bits, thinly sliced red bell pepper, and crisp tortilla strips adds texture and color to this popular soup.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (all visible fat discarded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn (thawed)
- 2 cups fat-free, no-salt-added chicken broth
- 14.5 oz canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ancho powder
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 6- inch corn tortillas (cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips, plus)
- 1 6- inch corn tortilla (torn into pieces)
- 2 to 4 Tbsp snipped, fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped avocado
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper (cut into matchstick-size strips)
Tip: Serving size 1 1/2 cups
Cooking Tip: Adding the processed soup and tortilla mixture to the rest of the soup gives the finished product more body and distributes the tortilla flavor.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a 3-4 1/2-quart round or oval slow cooker, stir together the chicken, corn, broth, tomatoes with liquid, onion, sugar, ancho powder, garlic, and salt. Cook, covered, on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- 2 Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3 Arrange the tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack. Let the strips stand for about 15 minutes, or until cool. Transfer to an airtight container and set aside.
- 4 When the soup is ready, transfer 1 cup to a food processor or blender. Stir in the tortilla pieces. Let the mixture stand for 1 minute so the tortilla pieces soften. Process until smooth. Stir the mixture into the soup. Stir in the cilantro.
- 5 Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the avocado, bell pepper, and reserved baked tortilla strips.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook, Copyright © 2012 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook
|Total Fat||5.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||33 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chicken Tortilla Soup - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box