Cinnamon Quinoa with Peaches - Delicious Decisions
A bowl of hot quinoa topped with sweetened fat-free half-and-half and peaches makes a nutritious, protein-rich breakfast. The quinoa doesn’t need tending to while it cooks, allowing you to get yourself and the kids ready for the day while the slow cooker does the work.
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed, drained)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen peach slices thawed (sliced or diced)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (dry roasted, coarsely chopped) PLUS
- 2 Tbsp chopped pecans (dry-roasted, coarsely chopped)
Tip: Serving size 1/2 cup quinoa, 1/4 cup peaches, 1/4 cup half-and-half, and 1 tablespoon almonds
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a 3- to 4 1/2-quart round or oval slow cooker, lightly spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Pour in the water. Stir in the quinoa and cinnamon. Cook, covered, on low for 2 hours or on high for 1 hour, or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- 2 Just before the quinoa is ready, in a small bowl, stir together the half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla extract until the sugar has dissolved.
- 3 Spoon the quinoa into bowls. Top with the peaches. Pour in the half-and half mixture. Sprinkle with the pecans.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook, Copyright © 2012 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook
|Total Fat||7.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||42 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Cinnamon Quinoa with Peaches - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box