Shrimp Tacos - Delicious Decisions
Tasty seafood tacos are all the rage, and since you can buy peeled and deveined shrimp either fresh or frozen, these are super-easy to prepare.
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. snipped, fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. canola or corn oil
- 13 to 14 oz. peeled, raw shrimp (rinsed, patted dry)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 small tomato (diced)
- 2 Tbsp. sliced black olives
Keep it Healthy:
Shrimp are relatively high in cholesterol, but they are also very low in harmful saturated fat. Even if you're watching your cholesterol, you can still occasionally enjoy shellfish, including shrimp, as part of a balanced diet.
Tip: Make it a meal with bottled salsa (lowest sodium available) with raw veggie dippers and instant brown rice seasoned with turmeric.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2 In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Add the shrimp to the pan.
- 3 Sprinkle the chili powder and cumin on the shrimp. Sprinkle with the garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes if using large shrimp, or 2 to 3 minutes if using small, or until the shrimp are pink on the outside, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- 4 Using the package directions, warm the tortillas.
- 5 Put the tortillas on a flat surface. Sprinkle with the lettuce, tomato, and olives. Spoon the sour cream mixture on each. Top with the shrimp. Fold 2 opposite sides of the tortilla toward the center. If you prefer a dramatic presentation instead, place 2 unfolded tacos side by side on a dinner plate. Fold each in half. Push a 6-inch wooden skewer through both tacos near the tops to hold them together. Repeat with the remaining tacos. Your family will be able to remove the skewers easily before eating the tacos.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association Healthy Family Meals, Copyright © 2009 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:American Heart Association Healthy Family Meals
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Shrimp Tacos - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box