Slow Cooker Pulled Orange Chicken Tacos with Pickled Vegetables
Here is a fantastic American/Southern, barbecue beef recipe that you can make a 'set-it-and-forget-it" feast of chicken tacos.
- 1 large halved orange (with peel on)
- 3/4 cup sugar-free, 100% orange juice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 14.5 oz canned, no salt added, diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 clove fresh garlic (minced) OR
- 4 tsp jarred, minced garlic
- 2 medium onions (coarsely chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color) coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp dried, salt-free Italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 pounds), all visible fat discarded
- 1/3 cup carrots (about ½ a carrot) cut into bite-size strips
- 1/3 cup cucumber (cut into bite-size strips)
- 3/4 cup red onion (about half an onion) cut into thin strips
- 1/2 fresh, diced jalapeño (about 1 tablespoon, for spice) optional
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar substitute/artificial sweetener
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup purple cabbage (shredded)
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves (small handful)
- 8 small corn tortillas
Tip: Keep the leftover shredded chicken to make a next-day salad with fresh vegetables or in tortilla soup.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Combine the orange, orange juice, chicken stock, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, garlic, the 2 medium onions, Italian seasoning, bell pepper and water in crock-pot.
- 2 Add chicken and submerge under mixture. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- 3 Remove chicken, tomatoes, onions and pepper from crockpot using a slotted spoon and discard cooking liquid.
- 4 When cool enough to touch, shred meat by hand or with two forks. Set aside until assembly.
- 1 In a medium bowl, combine carrots, cucumbers and red onion; set aside.
- 2 Combine jalapeno (optional), 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup water, sugar substitute, salt, peppercorns, coriander and bay leaf in small saucepot and bring to boil.
- 3 Remove from heat and pour over vegetables. Let marinate for 15-30 minutes.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood.
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||36 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Slow Cooker Pulled Orange Chicken Tacos with Pickled Vegetables has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box