This Simple Cooking with Heart, creative Italian recipe has an interesting vegetable that the kids will think is fun to make and eat.
- 1 spaghetti squash (3 pounds)
- non-stick Cooking spray
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove fresh garlic (minced) OR
- 1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 1 cup tomatoes (diced) OR
- 8 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried, salt-free herbs, Italian blend
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 oz. canned, no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup small "bite size" fresh mozzarella balls (can substitute fresh mozzarella), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped, or, torn basil OR
- 1 tsp. dried basil
Tip: Scraping the spaghetti squash to make “noodles” and tossing all the ingredients together are safe and fun steps to involve kids in this recipe.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 2 Cut spaghetti squash in half. On a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, place halves of squash face down and bake for 1 hour or until tender.
- 3 Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, pepper, herbs and red pepper flakes. Cook until liquid is evaporated, about 2-3 minutes. Add tomato sauce and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4 Let squash sit at room temperature until just cool enough to handle. Take a fork and scrap flesh from outside working in, creating “spaghetti noodles”.
- 5 Add squash "noodles" to sauce and remove from heat. Toss with mozzarella balls and fresh basil and serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||6.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||27 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Spaghetti-Squash Spaghetti has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box