Try this classic Simple Cooking with Heart chili recipe that's good for your heart. It's ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef (or ground white meat chicken or turkey for a healthier option)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium jalapeño (optional, only if you like spicy chili), chopped
- 4 clove minced, fresh garlic OR
- 2 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 15.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium pinto or kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3/4 cup jarred salsa (lowest sodium available)
Tip: if you want 5-alarm chili, add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Spray large saucepan with cooking spray. Cook beef and onion over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly to break up beef. Transfer to colander and rinse with water to drain excess fat. Return beef to pan.
- 2 Stir in bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, and cumin, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- 4 Optional – serve topped with low-fat grated cheese, a dollop of fat-free sour cream, sliced avocado, snipped cilantro or chopped green onions.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visitheart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||6.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
1 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Tailgate Chili has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box