Whole-Wheat Cranberry Muffins
Get some fiber with these tasty muffins. Great as a breakfast or a quick snack on the go.
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- Cooking spray (optional)
- 3/4 cup uncooked, quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened, dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg, or 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil OR
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 tablespoon unsalted sunflower seeds
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or put paper muffin cups in the pan.
- 2 In a medium bowl, stir together the oatmeal, flours, brown sugar, cranberries, wheat germ, baking powder, and baking soda. Make a well in the center. Pour the pineapple juice, egg substitute, and oil into the well, stirring until just moistened. Do not overmix; the batter should be slightly lumpy. Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds.
- 3 Bake for 11 to 12 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. These muffins don’t need a cooling time before removing from the pan.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks.
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Whole-Wheat Cranberry Muffins has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box