Guacamole Deviled Eggs
Deviled eggs always bring a crowd-pleasing touch to start a meal or small party. Using guacamole as the base is a heart-healthy way to indulge in deviled eggs, as avocado subs for the majority of egg yolk in this recipe.
- 9 large eggs
- 1 medium avocado (halved, pitted)
- 2 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/3 cup seeded and finely chopped Roma tomato (1 to 2 Roma tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño
- Dried or fresh cilantro, to garnish (optional)
Cooking Tip: The seeds of the tomato are removed and discarded; otherwise, the liquid makes the guacamole too runny.
Keep it Healthy: Using just a couple of egg yolks versus them all, whether in this recipe or one for scrambled eggs, is a good way to get a hint of the yolk without all the saturated fat.
Tip: For a pro look, scoop the guacamole into a Ziploc bag. Use scissors to carefully snip a side corner and squeeze guac through the corner into swirls for a more decorated deviled egg.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Make the hard-boiled eggs: Fill a large pot with water, add all the eggs, and bring mixture to a boil over high heat. As soon as the water begins to boil, cover with a lid, remove pot from the heat, and let eggs sit for 10 minutes. Drain water and transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water to cool.
- 2 When the eggs are cool enough to handle, remove the shells. Slice each egg in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks, adding just 2 whole egg yolks into a medium bowl and discarding the remaining 7 egg yolks. Place the egg white halves onto a platter.
- 3 Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop the avocado’s flesh into a bowl. Use a fork to mash the egg yolks and the avocado together. Stir in the sour cream and lime juice.
- 4 Remove the seeds from the tomatoes with a spoon and discard; finely chop the tomato, along with finely chopping the scallions. Add both to the mashed avocado, along with salt, pepper, and optional jalapeno. Stir together to combine.
- 5 Spoon the guacamole into each egg white half, dividing the mixture between all 18. Garnish with a sprinkle of dried or fresh chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||4.4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.8 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.6 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.6 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||3.3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.7 g|
1 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Guacamole Deviled Eggs has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box