Vietnamese-Style Lettuce Wraps with Grilled Shrimp, Avocados, and Mango
Piled onto a platter, this impressive dish will wow your family. For a weeknight meal, serve with the avocado and mango as is, but with extra time on the weekend, grill them instead. Grilling enhances the sweetness of the mango and makes the avocado even silkier, along with giving them both a bit of char.
- 1/4 cup lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 25 to 30 (9- to 10-inch) skewers
- 1 1/2 lb medium shrimp (peeled and deveined, tail removed)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 2 jalapeño (thinly sliced)
- 2 small avocados (quartered, pitted)
- 2 mango (peeled)
Keep it Healthy: Grilling gives such a smoky flavor to foods without any extra calories so it continues to be a great healthy cooking option.
Cooking Tip: To grill the avocado and mango, coat the flesh of the avocado quarters and the 8 large mango pieces with cooking spray. Grill, turning occasionally, until a bit charred, about 10 minutes total.
Tip: Grated cucumbers and carrots can also be added as toppings if desired.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- 2 Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
- 3 Prepare the shrimp by threading 3 shrimp per skewer. Place onto a baking sheet and use a basting brush to lightly coat both sides of shrimp with oil.
- 4 Remove leaves from the Bibb lettuce and place onto a large platter, along with chopped scallions, chopped radishes, mint, sliced jalapenos, and avocado. Peel the mango and cut 4 segments around the pit. Slice mango into chunks and add to the platter.
- 5 Grill shrimp until pink and fully cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and transfer to a plate.
- 6 Place the shrimp, the Bibb lettuce platter, and the Vietnamese sauce on the table. Let everyone serve themselves by making their own lettuce cups filled with shrimp, their choice of toppings, and a drizzle of sauce.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visitheart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||18.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.4 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3.3 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||11.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||43.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10.8 g|
2 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 5 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Vietnamese-Style Lettuce Wraps with Grilled Shrimp, Avocados, and Mango has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box